Unleashed Patience

Bismi Allah

What does it mean to be patient? Is patience hoping for something and waiting until you get it? Or is patience doing something about that desire and seeking it, knowing that ultimately whether you acquire that pure 'object of desire' or not is something you have no control over.

Patience is the way of our ideal role model, Prophet Muhammad, peace and blessings be upon him. Do I have that? Is it patience that I lack or is it the effort toward the goal that I lack? Is it ever okay for me to compromise my values, trouble my heart, and challenge my mind for a chance at achieving that goal? No, it's not. That's where patience is required. There are no more strikes left in this inning. I'm out of the game.

Instead, a refocus is in order. I recognize a force unnamed that cannot sit and wait for things that may never happen. Will they happen if I don't try? No, they won't. Patience is not synonymous with inactivity. Stagnant waters can never feed fish or the undergrowth of an ocean. They are limited to their confines.


A speck of dust is to be admired. It is tameless, free, but it is fickle. It knows no patience. It knows hardship. Is hardship the price we pay for losing patience?

I submit to Your plan ya Rabb. A moment of clarity that I have hoped for has come. I cannot smile. It's here. Now. My heart and mind are reconciled, and this is the beginning of yet another path. For a heart and mind that conflict leave nothing but an unsettled soul. I fear that if my heart were to speak, it would disclose more than is befitting of a patient servant. So I tame my voice. Patience by my side, I know what needs to be done before I return to dust.

Ya Rabb, give me the strengh to be as You command of me, to not waver in what pleases You, and to have peace with You.

2 comments:

Frazza said...

You make an excellent point, that patience is not synonymous to inactivity. I find myself falling into this trap too often myself, that I justify my inaction by labelling it as "patience".

A scholar once spoke of the ayah, "Wasta'eenu bi sabri wa salaah". And seek help with patience and prayer. He mentioned that patience comes first, because where is our faith if we can not have patience in the tests Allah Subhana wa ta'Ala has given us? If a person faced with tribulation submits to anger and frustration, and thereafter calls on Allah to ask for relief, he has effectively negated his prayers with his anger. He has expressed anger over what Allah had ordained for him, showing a lack of faith in the promises of Allah's help that will follow. Allah tells us that with every hardship comes ease; we must never lose faith in that promise.

It is, in fact, much harder to be patient than to perform prayer and supplication at times. But with patience and prayer coupled together, insha-Allah we will witness divine help come our way.

Your writing is wonderfully elegant, by the way.

Farzeen said...

Assalaamu'alaykum

Thank you sharing some scholarly wisdom. I guess that's why it's said that patience is in the moment and not afterwards.

"Do you think that you will enter the Paradise without such (trials) as came to those who passed away before you? They encountered suffering and adversity and were so shaken in spirit that even the Apostle and those of faith who were with him cried: 'When (will come) the help of God?' Ah! Verily the help of God is (always) near!" [2:214]

Archives

Subscribe

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Inspiration

"Be mindful of God, and God will protect you. Be mindful of God, and you will find Him in front of you. If you ask, ask of God. If you seek help, seek help of God. Know that if the whole world were to gather together to benefit you with anything, it would benefit you only with something that God had already prescribed for you. And if the whole world were to gather together to harm you, it would harm you only with something that God has already prescribed for you. The pens have been lifted and the ink has dried."
--Prophet Muhammad [peace be upon him]