A Change in Seasons

BismiAllah

Enveloped in the surrounding atmosphere lies a sweet story. Spring teases us with her shy whispers of bright sunshine. Winter holds its ground as the promise of snow-filled days mischievously lingers.

Sunshine, the means through which rainbows manifest themselves, is a source of wonderment. It dances across the sky, singing with the birds, cajoling the innocent, and encouraging the weak. But where does the sun take shelter once the rain arrives? What becomes of the sun as rain-filled clouds conceal the vast sky?

The sun remains, though she is hidden. Rain is a source of comfort which graces the earth with moisture and nourishment. The sun, without rain, is burdensome to the earth. So the sun gives rain due respect. She gives it peace as it quenches the thirst of those down below. Yet the rain must know its limits. When transgressed, the earth grieves. The earth is a sensitive one, weeping easily at both the rain's overindulgence and its extended absence.

Sunshine. Rain. What a fine balance they maintain... Working together to provide different sources of sustenance to the soil and vegetation-laden earth. A beautiful balance really.

But when winter arrives, rain vanishes. The earth absorbs extreme cold, and instead snow gently floats upon its surface. Vegetation can no longer survive. The conditions are too severe. What then of the sun? She still tries to shine on. Her strength seems diminished, but without her radiance, there would be no hope of a return to renewed life upon the earth.

We are the earth. Rain is our reflective tears. Sunshine is our gratefulness. Winter is our patience. Ruin is from our own hands. But through the changing seasons, there always remains optimistic hope, our spring.

Whatever is in the heavens and on earth, declares the praises and glory of God: for He is the Exalted in Might, the Wise.
To Him belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth: it is He Who gives life and death; and He has Power over all things.
He is the First and the Last, the Evident and the Hidden: and He has full knowledge of all things.
[Qur'an- 57:1-3]

Update: 2007-03-05

I love this poem. It's a powerful poem that I don't doubt that you will enjoy too. I'm posting it here because it relates nicely to the above post. It has few words, but so much strength and quality. Masha'Allah. Enjoy!

In the Absence of the Sun
By: Nauman Abbasi

I love God for all that He's done
That I'll pray on my knees
In the absence of the sun
On little pebbles and rocks
That deliver my legs sharp pains
While each drop hits down on me
Soaking me in the pouring rain
I'll humble myself in front of God
And enjoy every moment I partake
With my clothes drenched to never dry
Yet my faith won't waver or shake
With the elements against me
With desires to fulfill my obligation
In the rain with lightning pain
On my knees down in prostration
All for the sake
Of fulfilling my duty to my Lord
For the One that I love and worship
And for the One that I do adore
My inconvenience is insignificant
For the reward that I aspire for
I'll pray in the rain if I must
So let it pour, let it pour.

[Published in "Strangers" by University of Toronto Muslim Students' Association - St. George Campus - Poetry Society]

2 comments:

Yusuf said...

Assalamualaikum

That was a creative piece of writing. God only puts upon us that we can handle. Sometimes the winter is extended, but the sun always finds a way to shine...all we need is to trust it.

Farzeen said...

Wa 'alaykum assalaam

So true.

"Do you think that you will enter the Paradise without such (trials) as came to those who passed away before you? They encountered suffering and adversity and were so shaken in spirit that even the Apostle and those of faith who were with him cried: 'When (will come) the help of God?' Ah! Verily the help of God is (always) near!" [2:214]

Archives

Subscribe

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Inspiration

"Be mindful of God, and God will protect you. Be mindful of God, and you will find Him in front of you. If you ask, ask of God. If you seek help, seek help of God. Know that if the whole world were to gather together to benefit you with anything, it would benefit you only with something that God had already prescribed for you. And if the whole world were to gather together to harm you, it would harm you only with something that God has already prescribed for you. The pens have been lifted and the ink has dried."
--Prophet Muhammad [peace be upon him]