The Other Side... or Not

BismiAllah

As my sister and I perched ourselves on the floor in front of the fireplace, we talked about the quality of blog entries that we've seen, and we both agreed that there aren't a significant number of blogs that either of us have chanced upon that are both insightful and enjoyable reads. Redirecting the conversation, I said, "I know, my blog is boring. I wonder if anyone could make sense of my last post and give it a context." She responded, "Hmm.... well I read it, but I couldn't comment. I thought 'that's Farzeen again.'" I then decided that I would make my next post for her, a little entertaining and a bit of my other side.

Armed with this idea and a half-living laptop (more like half-dying, but I'm trying to be positive), I sat in the living room. As my family watched the news, I proceeded to log into Blogger. The internet connection is faulty on this laptop and especially slow today. As I waited for the Blogger page to load, I turned my attention to the news. There are increased suicide rates among women in Kabul this year, the news reported. Women who are forced to marry or face other cultural problems seek a solution through suicide, worst yet they carry this out by burning themselves to death. My heart dropped. SubhanAllah....The next story was far from uplifting, reporting on a soldier who raped and murdered an Iraqi girl. My jaws clenched.

It is reasons such as these reports that I find it very difficult to sit down, open a door to my thoughts, and still write something light-hearted. With this said though, I don't believe in depressive responses to world atrocities. In fact, I think it is quite ridiculous that people, as pampered in life as I, can respond to the world's problems by reducing their mental health to that of a cabbage via some form of depression. The only point of credit here is that at least it is, shall I say, a noble way to be depressed -- if such a thing is possible.

I also don't believe it is justified to despair (which is distinctly different than being emotionally moved or even upset) over the state of the people today because I believe that to fall into despair would indicate a loss of recognition that there is something greater than all of us and that His plan is ultimately being played out. His, most glorified is He, plan will prevail.

The Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, did not despair over people. When the people of Ta'if humiliated him and physically harmed him by getting their community's children to throw stones at the him, the Prophet (peace be upon him) prayed for them. He prayed! That's what we need to do. [Please read this article which discusses
why our prayers remain unanswered.] This was the thinking of great leaders, of great people. Another example is that of Sallahadin Ayyubi who was trained in medicine. When his enemy fell ill and the doctors failed to cure him, Sallahadin disguised himself and went into the enemy camp, successfully treated the enemy's leader, and then left again.

What would we do? What do we do?

May the Almighty give us success with Him, and place us among those whom He is pleased with, ameen.

Update: 2006-11-16

Please listen to this lecture: 25 Promises of Allah to the Believers by Shaykh Anwar Al-Awlaki.

No comments:

"Do you think that you will enter the Paradise without such (trials) as came to those who passed away before you? They encountered suffering and adversity and were so shaken in spirit that even the Apostle and those of faith who were with him cried: 'When (will come) the help of God?' Ah! Verily the help of God is (always) near!" [2:214]

Archives

Subscribe

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Inspiration

"Be mindful of God, and God will protect you. Be mindful of God, and you will find Him in front of you. If you ask, ask of God. If you seek help, seek help of God. Know that if the whole world were to gather together to benefit you with anything, it would benefit you only with something that God had already prescribed for you. And if the whole world were to gather together to harm you, it would harm you only with something that God has already prescribed for you. The pens have been lifted and the ink has dried."
--Prophet Muhammad [peace be upon him]